Sunday 3 August 2008

Expectations! Is it fair to expect things to happen!

Hahahahaha ..... This morning Natalie came to me wanting to have my mobile to watch "Jerry Cat". Simply asking "can I ......" and expecting to get it nonetheless. Well like any doting daddy would do, I gave in.

But it sets me thinking ... are "kids" brought up be expecting things to happen. Would they grow up to be teenagers expecting people to give a damn about how they feel, expecting people to know the injustice they have been put through and lastly expecting people to do things they are supposed to by virtue of their position in life and their rank in the hierarchy of things.

Which makes me want to write the topic for the day ... "Expectations". Just remember for any reader to this blog .... I dun write for no reason so readers beware ... hoping also that when Nat and Nic grows up I would use this entry to remind them of certain things in life. Also to remind them of how important and lucky having a sibling or a cousin is. Also to let them know that people tend to form expectations of what others should be but never expect anything out of themselves in the first place.

Finally to have this blog highlight a "Sob" opera that emerged so as to narrate to my gals and provide them with a learning experience. Oh yah. I am writing also in simple English so that my little gals would be able to read and understand at a tender young age.

My wife is against this blog entry, afraid of the repercussions but my take is this. People are not aware that some spectators to emerging events are in a fix, spectators like my MIL whom treat all actresses to this "sob" opera as flesh on both side of her hand. However these actresses are not aware how much the whole event is affecting her. Besides I own this blog ..... so it is actually really up to me of what I wanna do.

We tend to expect people to be doing certain things and create hell when they dun. Like when Lynn left the phone to charge and didnt bring her mobile to work. I rec'd a call later in the morning from her screaming at me for not reminding her about her mobile. My fault!

I have since reconciled the situation and find that sometimes people know that they are in the wrong .... just want to have someone else to blame. Its like my favourite phrase " dunno how to swim, dun blame it on your swimming trunks being too big".

The call was a trigger of course .... but I laughed instead of getting angry. For I realise that life is short, so we shouldnt spend our time arguing over non issues in life. 2 things to note.

No 1 - Thinking through what has happened, I gather that it has got to do also with one's expectation. She expected me to remind her about the phone. But then I ask my myself, did she expect herself to remember to bring in the first place.

No 2 - How I reacted to it. We make choices to the reactions we want to take in response to any event. It is never a automatic reaction. I know cos whenever I overreact ..... it really doesnt pay. So why risk it.

Though I have cousins, but technically they dun exist cos of the disagreements among the next higher hierarchy. Our relations didnt really hit it off cos those folks were like in war.

Hence I was amazed at the type of closeness my wife have with hers when I got to know her. They are lucky I suppose cos they have one another to count on. Lucky of course as they can play, have fun and joke around. Whenever there are events, all would be there.

But then human relations are fragile. Unrealistic expectations and naive arguments always exist which threaten such relationships. My take is to sometimes think back at those expectations. Before expecting others to do something, did u look at yourself? Before expecting others to react in a certain manner, did u do your part?

Life is never fair .... so dun blame anyone for the grievances you have. Dun blame anyone for the type of family u have. Its really not anyone's fault and it is certainly not yours. However ..... its time to grow up and accept it. It isnt really what happen in the past that matters, it is what u decide to do now which affects the future that matters. We make choices that affects the future ... so dun make decisions that u would regret in future.

Finally ... naive arguments would always exist. My take is to sometimes take a step back. Be willing to forgive and forget cos what goes around comes around. Today you might be the person forgiving, next time you might be seeking forgiveness. So remember to go easy on people.

Life is short and tough .... especially for the older folks. Though my advise to my MIL is to ignore certain things but I know she wont. Hence I am writing this ...... for any reader out there ... learn to take things easy and make life easy for others. Though simply put it .... I dun give a damn what happens cos it doesnt affect me. However I know it affects some people especially so for those actresses of this "sob" opera ... Please grow up.

Hope u take away with you some points in life. I expect myself to do something ... and I have done it. As for others, I have learnt not to expect anything from anyone. My advice is for yours to take .... also for you to trash it, it is really up to you. : )

Right ... time to go back to my gals. Nicole is grouchy cos she didnt have enough sleep. And yes, we are going out today. Yeah ....... til then.

No comments: